Friday, October 1, 2010

Stand Up For What You Belive in!

This morning Tyson and I took Ryder to a new Pediatrician for his 2 year check up. As most parents know the 2 year check up also comes with shots. Which I think is much more traumatic for the parents than for the child, because parents hate seeing their children hurt or in pain, even in the slightest bit. This story has 2 parts, so read on for the good news and the bad news.

The good news about this visit is they took all Ryder's measurements, so at 2 years old we can report that Ryder is healthy and doing well. He is 36 lbs (97th percentile) and 36.5 inches long (97th percentile). The height predictor says at age 18 Ryder will be 6' 4'' tall. WOW!

I have to preface this next part by saying, that we believe in having our children immunized, but we do NOT believe in the rapid schedule of immunizations that is usually followed. We have heard and read too many horror stories, done hours and hours of research, and just want to be extra careful. We want a happy and healthy child and this is one of the ways we decided to do it. OK Summer... get back to the story...

The bad news about the office visit is they sent in the office manager/billing specialist (neither of us caught her name but noticed this title on her badge) to talk with us before we saw the doctor. Since we didn't catch her name we will call her "Peach", because she was just a sweet peach of a lady...did you catch my sarcasm there? She proceeded to tell us that the doctor will not see patients that are behind on their immunizations. She said this is because every time you bring your child into the office they will be given shots and this has a negative connotation of going to the doctor. I have to say, I couldn't care less if my child has a negative connotation about going to the doctor, first, because he is a well child and rarely has to visit the doctor, and second, at least he would not be getting over medicated at these visits.

Anyway, Peach tells us, in order to catch up on shots we would need to give him 5+ today, or the doctor would not even see us. We were in complete shock! What ever happened to doctors working with their patients as a team. This has never been a problem at any of the other Pediatricians we have seen. My husband and I were and still are extremely upset by this. Not only is this rude woman not a nurse or doctor, but she's also telling us to go against what we believe in and have practiced for the past two years.

Tyson and I took one look at each other, and looked back at Peach and said "No thanks...we'll take our things now, and be on our way." A few other things were said as we walked out, something along the lines of what a waste of time this was, and bad manners, and...well you get the point. Needless to say, we will not be returning to that doctor's office...EVER! I feel proud that Tyson and I stood as one today, and realized that when we both believe in something and support each other, many great things can happen!

The hunt for a new Pediatrician is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment